My photo
Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I'll Play my BEST for Him!!

So, today while doing the dishes I begin to weep.
I have Christmas music in the background (of course), & "The Little Drummer Boy" came on. And as this song played, I started to think about how beautiful this Season is, and what an awesome opportunity we are given to celebrate God's greatest gift, Jesus.
I have heard this song, probably a thousand times, and never did it sound so insightful. In fact, I would naturally skip over this song, wanting to hear "Winter Wonderland" or "O Holy Night" more. But this song, this little drummer boy, is me, is you - it's all of us!
"I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum,
That's fit to give our King, pa rum pum pum pum"

How cool would it be able to walk up to Jesus. Us - poor, worthless, wretched, and ask to play our little drum for the KING - and then have his Mother Mary say "sure, come play your drum, I know it's all you have, but it's enough for my Son the Saviour."

We are all the Little Drummer Boy --who come to Christ and offer our greatest gifts, we lay them before him, and though there are wise men whom, to us, have greater gifts -- our drum is all Jesus asks of us. In fact, he says "Come."

I won't post the lyrics because I know they are all familiar, but I encourage you to play it, sing it -- and become that Little Drummer Boy, and play your best for him -- pa rum pum pum pum!

I highly suggest the version by Faith Hill, it's pretty amazing.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Funny,I too was just listening to this,this morning and then decided to check out Utube and watch the version with David Bowie and Bing Crosby. I loved the way they harmonized together. I started to tear up at the lyrics.I find the closer to God i become the more the words to Christmas songs really get to me.
I am actually starting to really listen to the words.
Always knew them but never really listened to them with my heart.